I am about to go outta my mind! I have
another kid throwing up AGAIN today!!!! This time it's poor Nicole. This is actually the first
time she's gotten it. Morgan and Tyler have both had it THREE times!!! It all started that last weekend in September. I had both Morgan and Tyler throwing up. It didn't seem to last long. Just earlier in the day if I remember right. Then the following weekend Morgan was SO sick we almost had to take her to get IVs. She went to the doctor that following Monday and we found out she had roto virus and a sinus infection. Then that Wednesday Tyler broke his arm and was throwing up that Sunday. Then we had a little break (
except for me getting sick with a bad cold/flu but not throwing up). The 4th weekend (well, it was actually Monday and Tuesday that week) in October it was Tyler again and then the 1st Sunday in November it was Morgan again! I actually kept us all home (
except Jason, obviously) last Monday and Tuesday to sort of "quarantine" us. After each bout of sickness, I'd Lysol
everything down and air the house out. Even the mini-van! We did a major cleaning last week yet now here we are with Nicole sick! I am completely baffled at what it could be! It has kept me up nights worrying if it's because of the dog, neighbors, hay bail on the front porch... WHAT IS IT that is causing gastrointestinal junk about every 7 to 8 days and only lasting 2 days tops? If we were passing it to each other, wouldn't it be sooner than that? Sometimes the person has diarrhea or fever, but sometimes not. We've been making sure hands are washed well before meals. Bedding is clean. I've even aired out and Lysoled the pillows. (
almost bought all new ones but can't afford to right now)
Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about what it could POSSIBLY be? I'm open to ANYTHING!! Even if you've never commented before,
please come out of lurking and give me your advice!! A couple of theories I've had is that the dog has been known to eat her poop. (
we've been giving her pills for that and I thought it was working) I don't know if she licks the kids hands and they transfer something to their mouths? (
OK, that grosses me out) Especially because Tyler and Morgan have had it the most. They put their fingers in their mouths more that the rest of us. Another theory someone told me about is a couple of Nicole's friends have pet rats. She hasn't been to their house much, but they are over here at times. We mostly all play outside. Tyler and Morgan ride bikes with their little brother, too. Could it be something with that? I know they've been sick a little, too. (
this theory seems crazy to me, though) But the last thing I was thinking is that we've had a hay bail on the front porch as a decoration. Could they be getting something from that? Maybe mice have lived in it and their germs are passing to the kids if they sit on it? I DON'T KNOW??!!
HELP!!!
Again, any advice you have will be appreciated! Maybe it could be the answer!! Thanks!
10 comments:
Sorry, I am not good at advice!! I am certainly with ya right now though, this week we have had two ER runs and 3 dr. visits starting with croup now last night finding that Blake now has pneumonia!! It sucks and definately has not made the kids too fun to be around!! :( call me if ya just need someone to talk to and we can whine together!! I sure hope everything gets better and she recovers quickly and no more comes your way for a very long time!!!
Tara, we have had the exact same thing in our household for the last 3 weeks. Every Monday of Tuesday we can count on J or T getting sick. But, only the two of them get it, they are sick for a day and then they are fine until the next week. I told John this morning if it happens again next week, we are running them to the doctor and having all kinds of test run on them. I don't know what to do, part of me thinks it is a virus, but then why wouldn't we all get it? Maybe it is just a really bad year for the rotovirus??
I'm a big hand washer. I know you mentioned that you have the kids wash up before eating, but I have my kids wash their hands right when they come home from school, and when coming home from church or stores. I don't want to pass on my germ-a-phobic habits, but I think hand washing is crucial to good health. When I started having the kids wash their hands more, I did notice that we had less sickness of all kinds. I've heard other moms report the same thing.
I also heard somewhere that the vast majority of tummy troubles come from something we ate rather than a virus. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I've always wondered about school lunch and the cleanliness of the lunch tables. At this point with three kids eating school lunch, I've tried not to think about it too much. But, with Tyler and Morgan not being in public school yet, I don't know what to tell ya' on that one.
I feel for you. The only thing worse than a kid throwing up, is one that is too young to know how to use a bucket. I hope all of yours are ate least past that stage. Just take it a day (or an hour) at a time.
Sorry about that long comment.
Just one more thought:
You don't have a carbon monoxide problem, do you?
Have you tried having Jason giving everyone in the family a blessing. Our Bishop recommended it from the pulpit one year when so many of the ward members were getting sick and we tried it and it seriously worked for our family! We didn't get anything major the whole winter! We felt like it was a miracle for us! I'm so sorry though. I wish I was there to help you more.
I was just going to comment and say, "You better hope that Stephanie checks your blog. She is the germ-a-phobic queen and will definitely have some tips!" But I was too late... there's Stephanie and her 2-part comment already ahead of me. Poor Steph, she is keeping Lysol in business.
But I agree with Stephanie. Most of our stomach "viruses" are actually mild forms of food poisoning instead. It's probably something the kids ate. Have you tried kitchen disinfectant for the kitchen counters? That is something I always forget--I wipe down the counters with just a wet rag and forget to use soap or Lysol to wipe out the germies that could still be living there.
Also, have you tried hand sanitizer gel for the kids? That stuff is great!
I've got nothing for you. Sorry. But, as for me, I for sure will be getting a flu shot this year. Didn't last year ... BAD idea. Something for you to consider, I guess.
Hi,
I'm Steven's wife. Did the kids go to any pools this last summer. I work at a pediatricians office and we still saw a lot of cryptospiridium this summer and some this fall. I do agree with Laurel though, it could be a form of food poisoning, it always effects kids differently than it does us adults, probably because their bodies are so little and complex. Anyway, sorry didn't mean to make this so long. Good Luck. Let me know if you need anything.
Thanks everyone for your comments! I swear I have tried EVERYTHING!! I am a hand sanitizer FREAK and we haven't been to any pools since June. (does that count, Tiffany E.?) I maybe don't use the Clorox wipes on the kitchen counter as often as I should, but it is about every 3 days or so...more if I've had any kind of meat near it. That's a place to start, I guess. I really think we need to try the idea of blessings 'cause I can't even imagine another week of this! My pediatricians office just said that it could be carbon monoxide poisoning or just a virus. They don't really know. I think we're going to buy a CM detector and see. Ya never know I guess.
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!
Oh Tara-
I was wondering if someone else had gotten it! Hopefully this is the last bout of it for you all. We have been healthy--but we have been keeping to ourselves. Quarantining seems to be the best thing when you are so sick. Just take it easy!
I wish that I could help!
Post a Comment