Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ok, so on the recommendation of a brilliant friend (aka Brooke) I bought this book.

I've only read the Intro and the first chapter and I am HOOKED! What an amazing book, so far! It is what I have been looking for as a parent. Do you ever feel like all you do is shout? Does it seem like nobody listens unless you do? Have there ever been times you feel like a complete failure as a parent? Well then this book is for you, too! With many more issues covered than what I just pointed out (my weaknesses...there ya have it!).

"By improving the way we, as parents, interact with our children, we can improve their behavior. Thus the importance of "being of good cheer"; of what we say and how we say it; of creating a safe, noncoercive environment in the home where children are taught not only good behavior but also good values."

One woman writes:
"These principles work, and they work without screaming, coercion, physical violence, or anger. Best of all, behavior is changed with the self-esteem of the child intact."

A couple of other quotes from the book I took from my friends blog:

(What sparked my interest in the book to begin with.)

"Parents seem determined to try to sneak their children into heaven by depriving them of their right to choose for themselves."

"When children's behavior becomes the measure of parenting success, the stage is set for an invasion of agency. To assure success, parents begin to - or try to - force their children into behaving well."

"There is no such thing as risk-free parenting. Our Father in heaven is a perfect parent. He made no mistakes, and still, many of his children have strayed. . . Our Father gave us the freedom to choose and in so doing, became the model for our parenting."

I can't wait to read MORE!! There will probably be more quote posts to come!

6 comments:

Rach said...

When you're done with that book, can I borrow it?? It's sounds awesome and I know I do my fair share of shouting at times. Let me know what you think of it when you finish reading.

Jamie said...

Yes, can I get in line to borrow this book?

Maureen said...

I'm looking forward to reading what you learn. My children are almost grown, but I can still learn!

Siri said...

It does sound like a great book. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check it out! I'm guessing Darren will want to read it too. You know, good research for work. =)

Tiffany said...

Let me know what you think...the quotes sound like pure truth and I need all the parenting help I can get...I have teenagers now!

Brooke said...

Hey, I'm glad that you are liking the book. I found out about it when my mom sat in on some of Latham's lectures at BYU Education Week. She came away convinced that not only are his methods professionally sound, but the Spirit that he carried with him was remarkable as well. I can sure attest to the fact that it has worked wonders for my family!