Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My new MD...WebMD

Umm...I think my girls have Fifth Disease. Morgan started with the rash on Thursday and Nicole started on Sunday. Neither of them had the flu-like symptoms they talk about so I had no idea that they were contagious. Once the rash breaks out, they can no longer spread it. So to those of you who may have been around them lately...I'm SO SORRY!! Apparently it's a virus that causes flu-like symptoms (headache, fever, sore throat) and then develops this rash. I thought that maybe I didn't put sunblock on Morgan very well. She has sensitive skin and so I thought that she was having a reaction to the sunblock or sprinkler water. They have all been living outside with the sprinklers lately. Then when Nicole started on Sunday with the cheeks (they look like they've been slapped) I thought that maybe they had both been exposed to something they were allergic to. I've been racking my brain thinking what it could be! No new soap, the same kind of sunblock as last year, no new foods. So I called my doctor this morning and they said that Fifth Disease is really going around right now. But the fact that they hadn't had any of the other symptoms besides the rash was weird. I then went to the next best doctor (ha ha); WebMD. It looks just like it! So, I have NO CLUE where they could have gotten it from and I hope they haven't spread it to anyone else, but luckily it doesn't bother them and they really haven't even been sick! Luckily Tyler has avoided the whole thing, too! In a few days we should all be in the clear, I hope!
NOTE: I'm not SURE this is what they have. It was kind of a self-diagnosis, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know! I hope they haven't developed new allergies!

12 comments:

Brooke said...

My friend's son just finished up a 2-month bout of Fifths. Yep . . . 2 months. It tends to fade and then flare up again, especially when he was in the sun or really active. He never had the flu-like symptoms either - just the rash. She kept him pretty much quarantined for about 3 weeks, until the doctor assured her that it was no longer contagious. Ugh.

Good luck! I hope it doesn't spread to the rest of your family.

Tara said...

According to what I've read, once the rash develops they are no longer contagious. My doctor said the same thing, so hopefully we won't need to quarantine ourselves! Ugh!

Dirk and Trish said...

L had that sometime last year. She didn't have the flu like symptoms either, just a high fever, (103-104, so I took her to the pedi) then a couple days later a rash. I thought it was like a couple days of fever, then a few days of rash. Does their rash itch? Hers never did.
Luckily, from what I remember, it's one of those basic "every kid gets it" kind of things, and at least w/ L it wasn't too bad. Good luck! I'm sure a houseful of sick kids just makes things sooo much easier on you right now.

Tara said...

No, it doesn't bother them at all. In fact, they never even had ANY symptoms. No fever/nothing. So I'm thankful for that. It could be a lot worse!

Rach said...

I have heard of several families in the ward who have had it now. That's probably where you got it. I have heard it can last several weeks, but you're right you are not contagious after the rash develops.

Siri said...

Yep. My girls have had it. I also had it as a child. My girls didn't like their baths too hot ... seemed to make the rash worse and itch more. Also, Aliya had some aching joints towards the end of it. Good luck! I hope you are all better really soon!!

Stephanie said...

A couple of my kids have had Fifth's Disease, also just the rash, no fever or any other symptoms. It's really an easy virus to have since the rash doesn't bother them. You (the parent) just feel bad.

Unknown said...

Fifths disease... how fun. If you know of any pregnant women (this is rare because they probably had it as kids themselves) who get it, tell them to inform their doctor because it can lead to miscarriage and/or an unusual form of fetal anemia that is similar to RH disease. The baby ends up with swelling from fluid retention (detectable from an ultrasound). It is treatable. I got this info from the What to Expect When You're Expecting book.

Tara said...

From what I understand, that's just in the first trimester of pregnancy. Pretty scary, though!

Maureen said...

Boy ... June's been a happy month for you hasn't it? I hope things pick up for you soon. Feel better my friend!

Papa Merrill said...

If you think 'Fifths' is bad, just wait for 'Sixths' it's twice as bad and you have to 'lock' them in their rooms for months on end. I know, nothing different for 'Tyler'!! Enjoy!!

Jamie said...

Some of our neighbors in the ward had that disease so I'm not surprised! Emi was playing with someone with it and I was very grateful that she didn't get it, since it was right before we left on vacation! I had to stop using WebMD because every time I tried to self-diagnose, it said that I had cancer or something else really scary.