Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm Baaack!

Yes, it's been a while since my last post, but I'm back! We've had a crazy week with sick kidlets again. Poor Morgan started last Wednesday with a cough and was up a few nights with it and a high fever. We took her into the doctor on Friday after she'd had a temperature of 104.1 degrees! She tested negative for the flu and strep but had a little ear infection. She was doing better and so we were lucky enough to have Jason's parents take the kids for the weekend! It was wonderful to be able to SLEEP IN and finish a conversation! We shopped, ate out, went to a movie (finally saw Twilight) and went to the Ice Festival in Cripple Creek. It was a beautiful drive and it was nice to be able to talk. We missed the kids though, and were ready to pick them up when it was time. It's fun to get away and always nice to come back! Thanks again Brian & Melva!
Well, then Monday night Tyler started with the same gunk Morgan had and so I made an appointment for him to see the doctor Wednesday morning. The night before he had a fever of 104.3 and we had to strip him down and cool him off with rags and it came down. Then yesterday morning he woke up and it was back up to 104.2 and I tried cooling him down but it spiked to 106 degrees!!! I about died when I saw that number on the thermometer! I hurried and stuck him in a bath and gave him Motrin and called the on-call nurses at my doctors office. He DID NOT like the bath and started shivering and so I had to get him out and try to bring his fever down with cold rags. I called Jason to come home because I needed help getting the girls off to school & help holding Ty 'cause he was really sick. (Thank heaven's he works so close!) Nicole had CSAP testing and Morgan had her Valentine's party so they both really needed to be there. It was my day to carpool but luckily Viola and Jean helped me out there. (Thanks guys!) The doctor's office called back and wanted me to bring Tyler in right away so we did. His flu test was negative but had a little bit of an ear infection, too. The doctor said that the high fever was caused by some virus but wanted to put him on an antibiotic that would cover lungs and sinuses along with his ears. He didn't want this to turn into RSV. We had to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours to make sure his fever didn't spike again. He's doing much better today. He's still coughing, but his fever isn't as high. Thank heavens! Kind of a scary morning yesterday!

Anyway, probably more detail than you all needed. But that's been my week. I'll try to post photos of our Ice Festival day later. I've got laundry just calling my name right now!

6 comments:

Jana said...

Poor kids and POOR mom!! I am sorry, I am glad they are starting to feel better!! Good luck!! :)

Rach said...

Oh Tara, that sounds horrible (except for the getting away part). A fever of 106?? I bet Tyler was miserable. Poor guy. I feel like I haven't seen you forever. Maybe both our families will be healthy enough to go to church on Sunday. Look forward to the pictures of the ice festival.

Dirk and Trish said...

Wow! That is quite a week. I hate high fevers and with almost every virus L hits 104. I can't imagine 106-poor thing must have felt horrible. Good luck getting/keeping everyone healthy! It has been a very long winter.

Gillett's said...

Oh, my goodness- life seems to always be so crazy at your house. I'm glad everyone is doing better now. I guess you needed a weekend off BEFORE it hit hard. You know I recently heard a remedy for coughs that supposedly REALLY works...for those that cough all thru the night put some vick vapor rub or mentholetum on the bottom of your feet then wear socks to bed- it helps to stop/quiet your cough. Good Luck- take care!

Siri said...

Oh ... a MUCH deserved weekend. How great! And it sounds like you have a really good and helpful pediatrician. Most of the time, I pay ours $100 for him to tell me something I already know! ;)

The Easton Family said...

What an eventful week! Glad to hear he's feeling better... hope the rest of you stay healthy! What a fun weekend you had before all the madness!