Thursday, December 4, 2008
Happy/Sad Day
Ok, so I'm officially the worst mother in the universe today. I know, it's been said before but today the award really does go to yours truly. We got rid of our dog Daisy today. I've been saying for weeks now that I was going to put her up on craigslist, only half serious. Well, on Tuesday my friend up the street (Jean) called me to find out the name of the people we got Daisy from. When I told her I was thinking about selling her, she was so excited! Her little girl loves Daisy and they were wanting to get another dog. They already have 2 labs and wanted a little dog. So it's really great because my kids will still be able to see Daisy and I don't have to be the one to take care of her! I realized that I like dogs, just not owning them. I really felt that I was spending more time cleaning up after dog and kids than enjoying and playing with my kids (and since I can't sell them...ha ha). I think I'm too much of a germ-a-phobe, too. I was constantly washing everything and when it was wet outside, the dog would spend more time in the bathroom drying off than with the family. I think she'll be much better off with the Aganon family. Nicole might think differently, but she'll adjust. Right? Morgan and Tyler are oblivious to anything that goes on, but Nicole was sad this morning. She is glad that she'll still get to see Daisy since she plays with the Aganon girls all the time. So, what do you all think? Am I a terrible mother? Have I traumatized my children to where they will need therapy for the next thirty years? I hope we did the right thing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Well this is a weird coincidence. You and I both lost our dogs this week. You gave yours away, and ours died. Remember Button? She died unexpectedly on Tueday. It's been a rough week.
Dogs are tough. It's like having another child in the family and require all the work and expense as a kid. And then the kids get attached to the dog, and the dog will 100%, guaranteed die within the kids' lifetime. Too much heart-break there for the poor kiddos. Having a dog-free home is so much easier. And that's what we have now. No replacement dogs for us.
Of course I remember Button!! Tell Doug I'm so sorry. I know how much he loved that dog.
Yeah, I keep thinking "Where's the dog? Did I leave her outside?!" It's snowing here today and I keep thinking I've left her out in the snow or something...then I remember she's GONE!
We have had 3 dogs since we had kids and we gave the first 2 away. The first one was a black lab and she was so good with the kids (T was 2 1/2 and M was an infant) We kept her for almost a year but she kept hopping the fence no matter how high we made it. She wanted more space to run and bigger kids to play with. The 2nd dog was dumped on us and after only 4 months I had to get rid of him. He was afraid of men and peed every time one came close. After he nipped at the little girls, he was gone. I love dogs too and always had one growing up, but never knew how much work they are. You have to find the right one at the right time. Duke is a keeper-we could not have asked for an easier dog and he is so lovable. It helps that the kids are older and help take care of him. You are not a bad mother. You do what works for your family and of course, YOU! It is all good.
Oh that is so hard, we went through that with Bogey but our boys were little. They are hard, they are like a kid and one that never grows up!!! You are not a bad mom at all for that especially if it was stressing you out, I'm sure you did the right thing, Nicole will be ok soon! :) Your are a great mom!!
I think it's great that Daisy went to a good family. It would have been a whole other story if you had just given her to the pound, not knowing what would have happened to her. And, being where the kids can go visit may just be the best part. You did fine.
I hope that doesn't make you a bad mom, because I'm about to do the same thing with our dog. I've discussed it with the whole family and we all agree that we just aren't dog people. I figure it's a good thing to know. Now we just need to find that perfect home for a wonderful dog.
I disagree with everyone...you are a horrible mother and I think that your kids need to come live with their Aunt Tiffy who has a dog (who incidentally you gave to us), a cat, and a fish to play with....wait....I guess you already know that I gave away our first two dogs too...Darn. I guess I have to say that you are a good mom then. Just kiddin. It all worked out just fine and the kids (and you) we'll be over it in a day or too. Love Ya!
Well, that's about where we are at with Brinkley. It's coming down to the dog or my sanity. I feel horrible because he is a good dog, has a good temperament, and is great with the kids, but 4 kids and 2 dogs is too much for me to handle. And, did I mention that he has these huge paws that track in snow and mud every time he comes in the house??? Maybe all our kids can have a pity party and commiserate together.
I feel like a bad mom because I LOVED my dog as a kid and think he was a huge part of my childhood, but I refuse to get one now because I don't want to take care of one. I guess if getting rid of a dog makes you a bad mom, I need to join your club!
You are a goodmother, because you were thoughtful about who you gave Daisy to. The Aganon's are really "dog people" and will love Daisy--and Nicole can play with her whenever she wants to! Sometimes you don't know if something will work for your family until you try it.
My dad is a veternarian, and I don't like animals. Whose the messed up one now?
Post a Comment