If you know me, you know I like to read parenting books. I'm always open to new ideas about how to raise my kids. Sometimes when I read them, I feel like I've really screwed up. Other times I find I'm doing alright. Right now I'm reading "Love & Logic". I'm sure you've heard of it. It's been out there for a while. Well, I think we've used some of the tactics for a long time and I just didn't realize it. For instance, giving our kids choices. "Do you want to walk to the car or do you want me to carry you?" End result is the same, getting to the car. This just makes them feel like they have a choice. Like they have some sort of control.
Well, this morning Tyler and Morgan are BOTH wanting to vacuum (yea, some fight huh!) and Tyler was using the little vacuum first. Morgan was telling me that she wanted a turn and I told her she needed to wait until he was finished. She then proceeds to give ME a choice.
"Mom, I can either use the vacuum now or I can tease Tyler. Your choice."
Hummm...I think she's somehow caught on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
they are too darn smart! well, at least you know they are listening!
Ahh, the joy of smart kids! Sometimes it can be frustrating, but at some point (sometimes days or weeks later) their comebacks make ya laugh.
Oh my gosh, that's soooo funny!! Now if she puts you in timeout or something... Your kids crack me up!
HYSTERICAL!!!
Good for her! I hope you picked "tease Tyler," just to see her reaction. :-)
Coincidentally, I'm reading that book right now also. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Parts of it, I think, are brilliant and they have totally helped me with Adana.
But other aspects seem a bit idealistic and unrealistic. Like when they suggest that it's up to your kids to figure out that they need to use the bathroom before leaving on a road trip. Sorry, but if I left that up to my kids, they'd never go and we'd end up stopping at a gas station about 10 minutes into the trip every time.
I'm all for giving choices - as long as it doesn't continually make my life more difficult!
This is too cute! It sure shows she's paying attention to you!
I say next time they fight just tell them that YOU are going to "time out" and they need to leave you alone!! hilarious!!
that is so CUTE! Sounds like you're raising 'em right- Aren't you so happy to blog & facebook and get some of those fun things your kids say in print?
(I see you found the "minima" template and got rid of the brown background. Looks CUTE!)
thats too funny! kids! lol.
Post a Comment