Friday, February 19, 2010

And now - the moment you've all been waiting for...

Ok, so maybe you haven't been holding your breath. But I'm finally sitting down to post about our little adventure last week. As you (may or may not) know, Jason was in Biloxi, MS for five weeks and I got to fly down there and drive home with him. A huge "thanks" goes out to my in-laws for watching the kids so that I could. They were wonderful and so willing to help! Thank you!!
AnyHOO... I flew into New Orleans the same time the city was having the big parade and celebrations for winning the Superbowl. It was kinda fun hearing everyone shouting "WHO DAT" to each other as they passed someone in Saints apparel. The plane was filled with Saints fans and it was crazy!
I had to take a picture of the Louis Armstrong statue thingy in the airport for my dad. This is his favorite thing. Brings back great memories, doesn't it Dad? We then drove to Biloxi, which is about an hour or so from New Orleans and I got to see where Jason had spent the past several weeks. Not the greatest accommodations, but what do you expect with base housing?
Then that next night we went to the famous buffet at the Beau Rivage Hotel/Casino. It is a gorgeous hotel that costs more than a car payment to spend the night. (seriously,who spends like that?) The food was amazing!! I'm not a seafood fan, but Jason had some pretty large crab legs and even some alligator. I tried the alligator (gag) and my first trip to the buffet was so overwhelming! I seriously could NOT decide what to have, there was SO much to choose from. This is what I ended up with:
*Slice of meatloaf * Sauteed mushrooms *Fried zucchini *Hush puppies *Cajun talapia-fish (sp?) *Yummy salad w/ham chuncks *Fried Cod fish *Rice pudding
Yeah, I know...none of it really "goes together" but man was it good!!
This is Jason enjoying his honkin' crab legs. Isn't it a beautiful place?


This is a shot at one of the souvenir shops. This giant "sharks mouth" was in one of the shops before hurricane Katrina. It ended up a couple of miles away in someones yard and is all that was left of that shop. The devastation of that hurricane is incredible. We lived in Biloxi for 3 months when I was pregnant with Morgan (before the hurricane) and it was so sad to see the destruction caused by one storm. We bought a really cool book that has photos of before and after if anyone is interested in seeing some of the amazing things from there.

This is all I have time for right now.
Watch in the coming days for more photos of New Orleans and some of our trip home...

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I totally remember that shark mouth! Imagine coming home and finding that in your front yard. :-)

We sure do miss Mississippi. We LOVED the food, and I never got over how the scroungiest teenage boy would hold the door for me and call me "ma'am." But mostly, we miss living so close to the Florida panhandle. Love those beaches!!

Rach said...

Oh, thanks for posting this. I HAVE been holding my breath waiting for this!! =) I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your hubby. Did you do anything fun in Texas?

Andrea W. said...

Tara, so great to get your comment on my blog and to find yours! Sounds like a great trip, so glad you get to be together again. 5 weeks is LONG. Cute family.

Maureen said...

Looks and sounds like fun, some time away without the kids. A second honeymoon??? Glad you had a good time!

Mel said...

That was so cool that you got to do that.

My brother sent some pix to us of the aftermath of Katrina and it was so crazy the destruction. Pretty sad.

Glad that you and Jason had a great time on your trip home.

Siri said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Next time you are in town, will you take me for some crab legs? I don't believe I have ever had them!! Also, I just love that pic of Jason. =)